Rabbit Month

To celebrate the arrival of the Easter Bunny, April is Rabbit month.

We are offering FREE Health Checks and reductions on Bunny vaccinations and Parasite Treatments.

Easter Dangers For Pets

Each year Easter means different things to different people. Longer days, the start of Spring, school holidays or the chance to attend religious services or spend some quality time with the family & friends. Or maybe indulge in a little bit of chocolate!

Easter for vets is a time where we wait for phone calls from worried dog owners whose naughty pooches have sniffed out and devoured the Easter eggs.

The British Veterinary Association recently ran a study that found 62% of pet vets saw cases of chocolate poisoning in dogs in Easter 2017 with 13% treating five or more cases over the Easter break. So it’s a fairly common problem!

24hr Emergency Vets
02891818898

Why is chocolate so poisonous to dogs?

Chocolate contains cocoa, which in turn contains a chemical called Theobromine. Theobromine is related to caffeine and is one of the components of chocolate that gives us a nice little buzz when we sneak a piece.

In very high doses it can be dangerous to humans but unless we have a serious addiction, we should be ok.

Pets however have a slightly different metabolism and are much lighter than us so it’s easier for them to eat a toxic dose.

Are some types of chocolate worse than others?

Dark chocolate contains more Theobromine than milk or white chocolate. Therefore, a bar of 70% cocoa chocolate is a lot more toxic than a similar weight of milk chocolate.

My daughter gave our Great Dane a malteser. Should I be worried?

Chocolate toxicity is dependent on the amount of chocolate and the size of the dog who eats it.

Therefore, a 2kg Chihuahua who eats 400g of dark chocolate is much more at risk than a 60kg Great Dane who eats a Malteser!

We will be able to offer advice with a phone call, so please get in touch if you are concerned.

Help – My dog ate 6 Easter Eggs. What should I do?

CALL THE VET We have someone on call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. As mentioned above, sometimes it’s just a case of a bit of simple, free advice to put your mind at rest but sometimes more needs to be done.

If your dog has eaten a dangerous amount of chocolate, we can give an injection to make them vomit. This must be done within 2 hours of eating the chocolate. The sooner we make them sick, the less effect it has.

The longer you wait, the more chocolate gets absorbed and the more damage can be done.

I’m not sure if my dog has ate some chocolate. What should I look out for?

If you’ve been out and come back to 4 lively dogs and a ripped up easter egg, there are some ways to tell who the culprit was.

Theobromine is a stimulant, so signs of chocolate toxicity include:

  • Hyperactivity
  • Trembling
  • Restlessness
  • Vomiting and Diarrhoea
  • Rapid Heart Rate

If you are concerned in any way, please call.

Our emergency vet can be contacted on 02891818898